The St. Augustine National Cemetery sits upon land which was part of a Franciscan Monastery, dating to the 1700s. When the English took possession of Florida in 1763, the monastery was converted into St. Francis Barracks, and it has remained a military institution since then. The first burials date to 1828, most casualties of the Indian Wars 1817-1858. The cemetery is home of the Dade Pyramids, believed to be the oldest memorial in any national cemetery. They are three eight-foot-tall pyramids made of local coquina stone, and are dedicated to all casualties of the Florida Wars, including the Dade Massacre in 1835. The 20-foot-tall Dade Monument, a white marble obelisk, was erected in 1881.
The cemetery is open for visitation daily from 8am-5pm; on Memorial Day the cemetery is open for visitation from 8:00am to 7:00pm. Located at 104 Marine St. in St. Augustine, FL.